Monday, February 3, 2014

Protective styles: You hair will thank you

 A very important part of any naturals journey or any hair journey for that matter is getting to know your hair. It is important to know what works well for your hair so that you are better prepared for the changing seasons. My hair is finally getting to a length were I have to pay attention to what work well for my me, its much more than just knowing what products work for you. During the winter months my hair loves as little manipulation as possible. I have a very dry scalp, which in the summer time is not much of a problem because I sweat in my head, which adds moisture thus not allowing my hair to dry out. Now the catch 22 to my protective styles is that I cannot wear them longer than 3 weeks to a month because my scalp gets extremely dry. This is not a bad thing for me since I like to switch my styles up often. However if you are not like me and would like to get more wear out of your protective style, but have a dry scalp here are a few suggestions:
1. If you are getting braids or any other style were your scalp will be exposed, make sure you thoroughly wash & deep condition your hair, this will help with moisture to allow the style to last longer.
2. Make sure that you are still protecting your hair at night with a satin scarf, bonnet or pillow case. I am sure you have heard this before, cotton absorbs moisture and is not your friend.
3. Find a oil or moisturizer that works for you, currently my favorite oil is Africa's Best: Ultimate herbal oil.
I purchased mine from my local Dollar General for
$2.00 I am sure you can find it in your local beauty supply store. It can be used for many things, hot oil treatment, bath & body and for dry skin. It works great for my hair.
 
4. Get to know your hair, love your hair. If you learn what you hair likes and doesn't like you can save yourself from headaches and wasted time. There is no wrong or right way to take care of YOUR hair, so try as many different things until you get what works for you!!
 
Below are a few protective styles I have been rocking for the past couple of months.
 
 
How well do you know your hair?  
 
 
xoxoStayFabulousxoxo

3 comments:

  1. I just took my braids down the hair was really bad, but I know better next time! I love the way you styled them. I really like the volume of yours, mine was too big and didn't look nice when I put them in any style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. Would you believe that when I first got them I did not think they were full enough..lol

      Delete